Thursday, November 8, 2007

Corporate Culture

Employees feel that they should compete and out-perform one another. In a culture like BCPSS’, many organizational members usually do not “fit in” to meet the expectations of corporate constituencies. The system’s employees are rather high on dogmatism and authoritarian. Subordinates see the world as a threatening place and regard authority as absolute....
This comes from the Sun's repost of an article from Richard S. Donald (see: this article). This is one of the overwhelming issues, and as I've said before, and has been said by others, the "backs" of the sorority that ran the school system has finally been broken, and in place is now (largely) BTU's influence, protecting ineptitude (how I want to quit this damn union).

The fear in the system is palpitable. Positively. And what is so incongruous is that (as usual) everything is top down. There is a lot of open disrespect for Alonso within the rank and file, and so little openness to change. I try not to take this seriously, and ignore the Urban Myths circulating, but I see so many moves being taken by administrators for fear of being "caught" doing the wrong thing. I could give some real examples, but I find that I'm afraid that if I give specifics, the school I teach will be identified, they will know it comes from me, and that I will be penalized. I've even had a number of supportive emails directly from Alonso: he has me hoping, but I do see the culture trying to spit him out like a fish (it has happened before!)...

People-- I hope we can stay on mission, and keep doing this for the kids. But realistically for me, as a possibility, and for others as a more active option, there are other places that need good teachers.

3 comments:

Baltimorean said...

I read your post on Sun Blog. I agree with you and I'd love to discuss. If you're free anytime soon drop me a line (biferguson05@gmail.com). I hope to hear from you. -Bill

Baltimorean said...

I again agree with your comments. Any chance you'd be interested in discussing?

Voice for School Truth said...

Anyone else interested in beginning a dialog?